Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
Nothing is more American than homemade Mac 'n Cheese. Always one of my favorites growing up, this recipe has been passed down through my Mom and is a combination of recipes from my Grandma Ceraso (Buscia) and Grandma Cook.
- 2 c elbow macaroni
- 16 slice package of American Cheese
- 4 tbsp Butter or Margarine
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 2 c Milk
- Bread (or Panko) Crumbs
- Cook and drain macaroni. Set aside.
- Melt butter over medium-high heat
- Stir in flour until smooth
- Add milk, stirring constantly
- Cube 12 slices of cheese and add to sauce mixture as it begins to thicken
- Cook for 2-3 minutes and remove from stove.
- Continue to stir until all cheese is melted.
- Combine cheese sauce and cooked macaroni in 2qt casserole dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
- Slice remaining 4 slices of cheese and place on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees